How We Source
Identifying Potential Suppliers
Our sourcing professionals are always looking for great suppliers to compete for our business. To identify potential new suppliers, we attend industry conferences and trade shows, talk with peers at other companies, and read industry journals and benchmark studies. If you are a proven performer in your industry and we have a need, we want to talk with you.
Competitive Bid Process
Request for Proposals (RFPs) are facilitated by Vistra supply chain professionals through an online sourcing tool. The information in the RFP is privileged and confidential, and should not be shared or otherwise advertised or announced by invited suppliers. Additionally, during the RFP process, there is a mandatory “quiet period.” This helps maintain an open and fair process for all suppliers invited to the RFP.
RFPs typically contain:
- background information on our companies
- objectives specific to the individual RFP
- scope and requirements being sourced
- a schedule and deadlines for the RFP
- background and technical questions for the potential supplier to complete
- a formatted pricing sheet
- standard terms and conditions
- contract information for the supply chain professional conducting the event
- opportunities for suppliers to state options that might enhance the final product
We encourage and believe each supplier has an obligation to ask questions and/or clarify any information they do not fully understand during the RFP process. To this end, an RFP may have a pre-bid meeting (via a conference call or on-site visit) and will allow potential suppliers to ask questions throughout the RFP process.
After we evaluate the proposals and make a final selection, we will finalize contract negotiations and officially award the opportunity. Suppliers that are not chosen are contacted and informed of the final decision and what they could do better for the next opportunity.
Vistra’s supply chain policy is to perform the sourcing and procurement functions in a manner that supports the company mission of being a safe, efficient, reliable, and customer-centric provider of energy, while meeting the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct. Suppliers will be evaluated on factors such as financial stability, ability and reliability to deliver products/services, capacity and scalability, pricing, technology and implementation, conformity to company terms and conditions, management support, and diversity certification, if applicable. A supplier’s past performance, if any, will also be an evaluation factor.
When sourcing for products and/or services, Vistra is looking for suppliers that also:
- do their homework to fully understand how their products and services can directly benefit Vistra and the solutions we offer our customers
- share our commitment to safety, performance excellence, and customer service, especially in terms of cost, quality, and delivery
- are financially healthy and continuously focus on improving affordability and efficiency through lean operations
- will share their knowledge for how we can all better manage our businesses, and deliver value and solutions where our suppliers and customers win
- conduct their operations in a safe, professional, and respectful manner, and share our commitment to ethical business practices
- support the communities in which they work and are good stewards of the environment
Air Quality Control Systems
- ERP Consumables
- Pollution Control
Ash & Fuel Handling
- Soot blowers
- Bulk Chemicals
- Water Treatment
- Civil Construction & Earthwork
- Fuel and Ash Handling Services
- Construction Materials and Services
- Sales & Service Call Center Services
- Memberships, Subscriptions & Publications
- Staff Augmentation
Electrical Equipment & Services
- Building Maintenance & Repair Services
- Janitorial Services
Fuel and Lube
- Diesel Generators
Instrumentation & Control
- Continuous Emission Monitoring Systems
- Distributed Control Systems
Maintenance & Repair Services
- Fabrication & Machine Shop Services
- Industrial Cleaning
Material & Fuel Handling
- Coal Yard/Barn
- Conveyor Systems
- Dust Suppression
Mechanical Equipment & Services
Mining Equipment & Services
- Mining Tires
- Yellow Iron Fleet
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO)
- Industrial Parts & Supplies
- Electrical Supplies
- Dry Cask Storage
- Nuclear Components
- Nuclear Maintenance & Repair Services
- Environmental Services
- Customer Billing
Sales & Marketing
- Marketing Services
- Value Added Partners
Support Equipment & Services
- Equipment Rental
- Railcar Maintenance
- Railroad Maintenance
- Steam Turbine
Vistra suppliers will be held to these standards. Additional requirements may apply, depending on the type of product or service you are providing.
Safety is paramount in our day-to-day operations. Suppliers must conduct their own operations in a safe, professional, and respectful manner, and must share our commitment to safety. Suppliers who perform certain higher risk services or make hazardous deliveries at our sites are required to hold a current ISNetwork subscription and maintain compliance with Vistra’s ISN Scorecard requirements. Additionally, suppliers will adhere to our standards on worksite safety. Each work location may require additional training at the site prior to being released to work. Some work locations will perform personnel background reviews prior to being granted access within the power block. Vistra will be performing independent observations of supplier performance once the work scope commences.
Contractors (and their subcontractors) must carry and maintain minimum insurance coverages which include but are not limited to:
- Workers Compensation Coverage and related insurance as required by law in the state in which work is to be performed;
- Employers’ Liability Insurance – $500,000
- Commercial General Liability Insurance – $1,000,000
- Automobile Liability Insurance – $1,000,000
- Excess Liability Insurance – $2,000,000
- Coverages must be issued by carriers having an A.M. Best’srating of “A-” or better, and an A.M. Best’s financial size category of “VIII” or better, or Standard & Poor Insurance Solvency Review of “A-” or better.
- Contractors must provide certificates of insurance that show Vistra Corp. and its direct and indirect subsidiaries as the certificate holder, and as an additional insured (including completed operations) with respect to all of the required coverages except workers’ compensation.
- Workers’ compensation shall include Vistra Corp. and its direct and indirect subsidiaries as an alternate employer.
- All of the required coverages must provide a waiver of subrogation in favor of the certificate holder.
Vistra uses an electronic PO and invoicing system, Ariba. Suppliers will subscribe to Ariba and comply with the requirements of Ariba with regard to format, content and method of submission of all invoices.
Code of Conduct
Suppliers will adhere to good business ethics practices. Suppliers may not offer or provide any compensation or benefit of any type, including any gift or gratuity (other than tokens of nominal value or reasonable business meals and business entertainment) to any Vistra employee.
Shipments must follow freight routing instructions, and shipping documents must reference a PO.
- Once a new supplier is awarded work by Vistra, and in addition to executing a contract, a vendor setup must be done to issue a purchase order or pay any invoices. The following documentation is needed to set-up the supplier accurately in our systems:
- Vendor Setup Form
- ACH or Wire Transfer form (ACH is our preferred method of payment)
- Supplier Status Profile Form
- Latest IRS version of W-9 signed within last 2 years (non-US suppliers must provide a current W-8 tax certificate)
- Voided check or bank letter head with relevant account information